[PD-dev] pd-extended build system questions

Georg Holzmann grhPD at gmx.at
Tue Jan 9 00:03:14 CET 2007

Hallo!

>> So is there a way how the externals can find the shared library,
>> whithout copying it into a global library path like /usr/lib/ ?

It seems that the only way is, to add the
/full/path/to/installed/library/directory to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
variable before starting pd ...

> I think you can link to it using a relative path, or even better, just
> the same dir, i.e. "."  Mac OS X has handy tools for managing library
> paths (otool -L and install_name_tool), I don't know about other platforms.

"." does not work on linux - I would have to install the library first
and then link it to the full path where I have it installed.

So it seems that the only way is to use dlopen() - where I have to
modify the source (and handle it seperate for all platforms in the
source file ...).
I think it's not worth to do that for PDContainer - but we can continue
to think about it if we can also use it for other externals ;)

LG
Georg