[PD-dev] pd-extended: flatspace, external-libs, aliases

Georg Holzmann grhPD at gmx.at
Mon Jan 15 12:55:20 CET 2007

Hallo!

>> 1) flatspace (externals/build/src) :
[...]
> Günter started that collection because he felt that Pd should have just
> one carefully controlled global namespace.  He doesn't like the
> namespace stuff, so I just leave flatspace as is so that it can be used
> as is.  The namespace stuff is still experimental, so it's good to have
> other methods of organizing Pd to compare it against.  That means
> leaving duplicates in externals/build/src/.

Okay, I thought all sinlge-object external libraries are in the
flatspace (and some old stuff ...)

> I actually think that aliases are bad practice and I don't support them
> at all in Pd-extended.  No other programming language that I know has
> aliases for functions or objects.  Functions and objects only ever have
> one single name.  Aliases make code harder to read, are extra work to
> support, reduce the namespace, while the only benefit is saving a few
> keystrokes.  Instead, I think people should spend more time coming up
> with a very good name.

Yes, but for some older libraries there are various aliases.
I added a alias folder now to iemmatrix.

I hope all the buildsystem stuff will be a big topic on the pd
convention and we can find a compromise, with whom all developers can
live ...
(and don't have to maintain old, new, Günther, Hans, IEM, etc. buildsystems)

LG
Georg