[PD-dev] Re: PD-dev Digest, Vol 22, Issue 21

Eric Lyon audiodidact at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 06:58:29 CET 2007

Sure thing. I'm a composer who has been working on computer music since
1983. I started writing MaxMSP externals around 1999 and around 2003 started
building externals in hybrid MaxMSP/Pd code. My interest in Pd is as much
sociological as musical. The fact that MaxMSP is commercial and closed
source and Pd is free and open source makes it very interesting to observe
how the two communities evolve. For that reason among others, I like the
idea of having my externals available on both platforms. Most of my recent
use of Pd and MaxMSP features interaction between computer and acoustic
instrumentalists, where the forms of interaction are mostly predetermined,
applied  to specific pieces of composed instrumental materials as they are
performed live. Which is to say, this work is closer to performance from a
score (with interpretive possibilities as in traditional instrumental music)
than to more open forms of improvisation. I also use the programs for
generation of materials for fixed media compositions, and there my approach
tends to be much more improvisational.

Best,
Eric

    Sounds good.  The standard procedure is to send an email to this list
    introducing yourself and the work you do with Pd, and in the CVS.
    Then after the "lazy consensus" waiting period passes with no
    objections, we'll add you.  Normally its a few days.