[PD-dev] string type for pd

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 27 17:53:19 CET 2007

I have implemented a string type for Pure Data as well as a [str] object
that uses it. For it to work, pd needs to be patched. The [str] is
contained in a separate file but the infrastructural changes are part of
pd. I have attached a patch file for anyone interested. If it is
acceptable, where should I put it? I could check str.c into externals,
but it won't build unless the source is patched...
The str object can join, split, load, save, drip,  compare and convert
strings to other types. It should be useful for formatting arbitrary
strings for communication via byte-oriented objects such as [comport]
and [tcpserver], which can then talk to external hardware (e.g. serial
LCD or lanbox), for example terminating strings with CR LF instead of
semicolons.
Other potential applications of the string type that I haven't yet
implemented are math using very long integers and row-by-row image
processing.
Martin