[PD-dev] string type for pd

Bryan Jurish moocow at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Feb 4 09:30:16 CET 2007

moin Martin,

On 2007-02-04 00:40:03, Martin Peach <martin.peach at sympatico.ca> appears
to have written:
> Bryan Jurish wrote:
>> at any rate, a thousand thanks for your work, and I'm looking forward to
>> playing with real strings in pd!
>>

> Good to know I've done something useful for once!
> I guess my question now is whether it's best to have a single [str]
> object with lots of selectors for different functions a la [list] as I
> did in str.c, or a bunch of objects like [str_join] [str_split] all in a
> str library, or individual objects in "flatspace".

I myself am partial to multiple objects, for semantic and
coding-aesthetic reasons, but I can see that the parallel to [list]
could be a motivation for the single-object approach.  As to the
question of library vs. a flat collection of single-object externals, I
suppose the question is just how much of a common codebase would the
various objects need?  you could also even make multiple build targets
(ext13 style) for the library and the flat collection, leaving the
choice up to the user...

marmosets,
	Bryan

--
Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more bug."
jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology