[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-1518030 ] subpatch clearing itself crashes Pd

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Feb 11 22:35:09 CET 2007

Hallo,
Tim Blechmann hat gesagt: // Tim Blechmann wrote:

> > Well, then how should Pd solve the logical pitfalls in your opinion?
>
> mark the object as deletable, if the messaging is happening, wait for
> the object to return from the message function, then it can be safely
> deleted.
> implementing it shouldn't be difficult as it is completely compatible
> with pd's synchronous architecture.

If I understand it right, what you suggest is similar to adding a
[delay] object into the chain to defer the actual killing to a point,
when all current operations are complete.

But additionally your proposal would introduce the possibility, that
an object disappears, before all other objects have completed the
current logical step, too. So the bottom line would be dividing the
single logical step we have now into two (or even more) steps, that
all need to be executed in the correct order. What's the gain of
making execution order more complicated? I guess this is not just to
allow sloppily coded suicides.

(I'm a bit worried because a lot of the problems people have with
their patches are there, because they didn't get the execution order
right. Complicating this area could confuse them even more.)

Ciao