[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-1518030 ] subpatch clearing itself crashes Pd

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Sun Feb 11 23:03:04 CET 2007

> > mark the object as deletable, if the messaging is happening, wait
> for
> > the object to return from the message function, then it can be
> safely
> > deleted.
> > implementing it shouldn't be difficult as it is completely
> compatible
> > with pd's synchronous architecture.
>
> If I understand it right, what you suggest is similar to adg a
> [delay] object into the chain to defer the actual killing to a point,
> when all current operations are complete.

or the other way round ... you use the delay object to achieve, that the
object is deleted after the messages have occurred ... :P

> But additionally your proposal would introduce the possibility, that
> an object disappears, before all other objects have completed the
> current logical step, too. So the bottom line would be dividing the
> single logical step we have now into two (or even more) steps, that
> all need to be executed in the correct order. What's the gain of
> making execution order more complicated? I guess this is not just to
> allow sloppily coded suicides.

i'm not splitting the logical step, i just change the interpreter state
in a totally predictable way.

but don't worry, i'll leave the implementation of this to a pd
developer ...

tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

There's no such entity as "most people". These are generalities. All
generalities are meaningless. You've got to pin it down to a specific
person doing a specific thing at a specific time and space.
  William S. Burroughs