[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-1518030 ] subpatch clearing itself crashes Pd

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Mon Feb 12 00:09:38 CET 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 23:27 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Tim Blechmann hat gesagt: // Tim Blechmann wrote:
>
> > i'm not splitting the logical step, i just change the interpreter state
> > in a totally predictable way.
>
> I don't know Pd's internals nearly as good as you, but still it seems
> to me, that suicides in the middle of a logical step have pitfalls. As
> Thomas wrote, a suicidal object should not generate further messages.
> However this suicidal object may already have scheduled further
> messages. What happens to other branches after the suicidal object,
> e.g.:
>
>           [r y]
>  [symbol x]
>  [t a b]
>  |     |
>  |     [s kill-symbol-x]
>  [s y]

i don't see a problem with the following signal flow (indentation
represents the message stack):

symbol x, execute outlet 1
	t a b, execute outlet 2
		s kill-symbol-x, mark 'symbol x' deletable
	t a b, execute outlet 1
		s y, send
			r y, receive
				symbol x, set object
symbol x, returning from outlet 1, as it's marked as deletable, remove
it from the interpreter

tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

Most of the trouble in this world has been caused by folks who can't
mind their own business, because they have no business of their own to
mind, any more than a smallpox virus has.
  William S. Burroughs