[PD-dev] subpatch clearing itself crashes Pd

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Feb 13 13:59:10 CET 2007

hi

Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Funny: I was also thinking about how this may affect to singletons
> recently.

that's the inevitable "great minds..." ;-)

> Anyway one thing we should probably keep in mind: The problems we talk
> about only occur for objects, that are trying to delete themselves,
> that want to commit suicide. So we don't need to think too much about
> "passive" objects that cannot do anything anyway, about objects that
> don't have outlets and aren't senders. [table] currently seems to be
> such an object, that can only be killed from the outside.

right, i was thinking too simple: flagging "meta"-objects (e.g.
abstractions) as deletable; we are really talking about flagging atomic
objects, which reduces the problematic cases.

but of course we never know, what exactly a singleton will be.

> However it is not clear, that [table] will be such an object for all
> times. For example data structures already are "active" objects, that

btw, does anybody know why [table] ceased to have inlets? i still think
that they were very handy....

mfg.asdr
IOhannes