[PD-dev] Fwd: Request for dev access

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Feb 15 10:14:26 CET 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 09:59:59AM +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> > i'd be more interested in moving us over to Git, so i can stop getting these emails.
> why would "these" emails stop more if we were using Git than they would
> if we were using svn?

I could be wrong, but I think git is a decentralised code management
system. With decentralised code management systems like git and bzr you
don't need to have a 'central' repository. Everyone has their own copy of
the code in their own repository and patches are posted to a common place
(like this mailing list). Each person can then decide to accept or reject
those patches into their own codebase. So becoming a developer is as easy
as checking out a local copy of the code, signing up to the mailing list,
and starting to post patches. It's a more democratic way of developing,
and more subject to software evolution.

I am not sure if that development model suits Pure Data though. It might
be a bit unrealistic to think everyone here could work in that style.

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx