[PD-dev] Fwd: Request for dev access

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Thu Feb 15 15:21:08 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 13:55 +0100, Georg Holzmann wrote:
> > Of course we would loose the possibility that everyone can quickly
> fix
> > a bug everywhere, but then, I don't see this as such a big problem.
> > There still would be "trusted core developers" with access to almost
> > everything - or maybe we could let each user decide with an ACL file
> > in her/his user directory, who should have access to it.
>
> I think this is only a good idea if there were already problems, that
> other developers broke things ... which I cannot really remember.
> If not, it will only prevent some people from developing, trying to
> improve other code, improving the build system etc.

iirc, carmen once messed with the plugin~ help files, which was not in
everyone's interest.

> I see your point, but I think this is more appropriate for a project,
> where you really have some core developers (or maintainers) which
> work
> quite a lot on the code - but I don't think that it is like that in
> pd!
> (exception: millers main, maybe the pd-extended-release branch from
> hans
> and pd-devel-core)

it would have the advantage, that there is a certain amount of quality
assurance, so no one messes with other people's code ...
but i guess your observation is correct, currently the cvs is not used
as version control system, but rather as a code publishing system.

tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

Which is more musical, a truck passing by a factory or a truck passing
by a music school?
  John Cage