[PD-dev] Porting PD on a DSP processor

Sukandar Kartadinata sk at glui.de
Sat Feb 17 23:22:09 CET 2007

The port was actually to a TriMedia TM1300 which isn't really a DSP
nor FPGA, but a VLIW-CPU. The FPGA is the core of my newer product,
the gluion. The gluiph only had a small CPLD for various signal
routings, although some of the gluion's concepts were already
implemented there.

Regarding the port: The TriMedia actually has a very good C/C++
compiler, so porting to it can't be really compared to the work
involved with DSP programming.

As Hans-Christian said, you might want to look at PDa which is said
to run on the Blackfin DSP by Analog Devices as it has a Linux tool
chain. I'd prefer a floating point DSP though, but last time I looked
there was none which would support µLinux.

One main question is: do you want to do this in assembler (or hand-
optimized C) or take some higher level approach. The former is a lot
of work, the latter will likely be rather slow.
You might wanna have a look at Embedded Chuck for reference:
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~gewang/ee464/product.html
The gluiph, with only a bit of optimizing, was twice as fast as a
PowerPC G3 (per MHz). But at 128MHz that doesn't mean much....

Then again, you can get Pentium/Core modules as small as 10x10cm...

But let us know where you're heading with this.
Maybe you'll find a better angle to approach this than I did 5 years
ago with the gluiph, which was a lot of work but didn't really pay off.

BTW, I'm rearranging my website, so for the meantime the cited paper
can be found at:
http://www.glui.de/old/prod/gluiph/NIME03_Kartadinata.pdf

cheers,
Sukandar