[PD-dev] Fwd: Request for dev access

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Feb 21 05:17:30 CET 2007

On Feb 15, 2007, at 10:35 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Georg Holzmann hat gesagt: // Georg Holzmann wrote:
>
>> Hallo!
>>
>>> Just to give some numbers: Currently we have 59 developers according
>>> to http://sourceforge.net/projects/pure-data and I just saw, that
>>> some
>>> like said Eric Lyon are still missing - at least I do know *him*
>>> personally ;) - so we are already past 60!
>>
>> Yes, but how many developers are active ATM ?
>> I don't think that much more than 10 commited something in the last
>> month ...
>
> Again I think this is even more reason to handle write-everywhere
> permissions a bit less liberal according to a principle of least
> damage.
>
> If only 10 developers actually commit regularily, dealing with
> permissions more restrictive wouldn't affect the others at all. And
> OTOH it would allow us to give out the restricted permissions to a lot
> more people much easier and without worries.

I am a big fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  So far, the
only bad commits have been by people who would have had commit access
anyway.  I don't think setting up ACLs would be a good way to spend a
bunch of time, unless bad commits become a problem.  CVS keeps old
revisions, all commits are reported to the pd-cvs list (which at
least I check, among others), and the build farm makes a full backup
of the CVS repository every night.

As for the issue of too many devs, I think if people are worried
about there being too many in the sourceforge project, we should
purge people who haven't committed in a year.  That would probably
remove 20 people from the list.  Then if they want commit access
again, then just post to pd-dev, just like Luke just did.  Just to be
clear, this isn't a judgment on those people, just purely a practical
matter.  I think we could send them all an email asking if they want
to keep the access.

.hc