[PD-dev] Fwd: Request for dev access

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Feb 21 22:54:54 CET 2007

Hallo,
Eric Lyon hat gesagt: // Eric Lyon wrote:

> Another question that comes to mind is the name space issue. I have an
> external in LyonPotpourri called adsr~. So does MaxMSP. But there's no clash
> because all of my externals in MaxMSP are compiled with a prefix, in this
> case el.adsr~.  If many different packages are to be coordinated, it would
> be nice to have a similar convention to address this issue in Pd. (Hopefully
> not an ugly one like making me change all my files to el_adsr~.c and so
> forth.)

If your externals as single files are installed into a directory "el"
and if not this directory, but the its parent is in Pd's search path
then the object can be used as [el/adsr~] etc. This solution is
standard on Pd-extended, where every collection of abstractions or
externals is installed as a subdirectory of "extra". "extra"
automatically is part of the search path.

Although AFAIK there still are some problems with externals: Once
[el/adsr~] is loaded, you can also create [adsr~] without directory
prefix and it will load your external. But maybe this has been fixed
in the meantime.

If you want to read some more about this in the archives: This kind of
directory prefix sometimes also is called "Geiger namespace" because
it was first suggested by Guenther Geiger.

Ciao