[PD-dev] annoying crackles--Gui issue

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Feb 22 02:56:17 CET 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 11:49:56AM +1100, we are wrote:
> also, what are developers working on the most at the moment. 38-dev
> 39-dev, 40, desire etc. what would be the most useful to be testing
> and what has the best functionality, opinions?. all but desire seem to
> have the annoying paranoid closing question whenever i want to close a
> patch. even unedited help files etc.

That really depends what you are trying to do. I have only used two
forms of Puredata - Miller's canonical distribution, and DesireData.

DesireData I have only used twice, and both times I found it too slow
to use, though that was more than likely my own fault. The default DD
gui had way more features than Puredata. If you're into visually heavy
and customizeable UIs then this is probably your kind of thing, I guess.

As a fan of minimalism in software I find that Miller's Pd is nicest for
me. It has a minimal interface, and also a minimal codebase, minimal
dependencies, etc. This is the main reason I don't use Pd-extended
as well. It seems that things break more easily in big complicated
pieces of software like Pd-extended. If you want wider compatability
with lots of the patches out there on the net using various externals,
then Pd-extended is awesome for you since it comes packaged with so many.

I have no idea about the various forms of puredevel etc. in CVS I have
a feeling that some of them are dead/obsolete. Someone who hacks more
on the Pd code than me can tell you.

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx