[PD-dev] annoying crackles--Gui issue

Patco megalegoland at yahoo.fr
Thu Feb 22 13:22:32 CET 2007

we are a écrit :
>> On any sound program with a user interface we are experiencing clicks
>> and crackles when the GUI refreshes,
>
> i don't experience this with any other audio program.

Lucky you.
 It's usually the graphical interface that is experiencing problems
rather than the audio,
 also paywares don't use to allow users to be in a situation where audio
is crackling when the GUI refreshes.
It might be interesting to have something for preventing audio glitches?
Have you got an example of audio programs with an interface written in
tcl-tk where we don't experience clicks when GUI refreshes?
>> this problem can be fortunately resolved with programs like pure data,
>> with separating the server and the client.
>> For avoiding to have an interface that freezes when the server is under
>> a process that is taking too much ressources, we can run pure data to
>> control another one.
>
> i have used this method before for using things like Gem and PDP an
> (netsend/OSC etc) which is 'sort of' justified but it seems a bit dumb
> to have to do it all the time. not disrespect to pd, but that would be
> a really tedious way to interface with pd all the time.
>
> don't you think?

pd can be used like a command line tool, and be controlled with the
interface of our choice.
 Then we have many other options like building an interface with another
language than tcl-tk, like gtk+,
 wxpython, flash, SVG,(etc...,) but with the disadvantage of using more
and more other modules, dependencies.