[PD-dev] Pd-Extended help path

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Feb 26 04:34:31 CET 2007

On Feb 25, 2007, at 9:23 AM, Georg Holzmann wrote:

> Hallo!
>
>> Which version are you using?  I am assuming that you are talking
>> about 0.40.2, which is very rough.
>
> yes!
>
>> The idea for the next step is to  include the help files in the
>> libdir (i.e. inside extra/zexy/) so  that it is a self-contained
>> (#2 you mention below).  This relies on  have the metadata parsing
>> working and having a help menu built with  that data.
>
> Sorry, I don't know much about the helpbrowser, but which metadata
> do you need to parse for that ?

Part of the PDDP templates is having meta data for each help patch.
So one example would be "category" or "keywords".

>> Otherwise you wouldn't be able to browse the help files in the
>> Help  Browser.  A possible temporary workaround would be to make
>> the Help  Browser browse help files in "extra".
>
> and why is this a "workaround" - now you also have simply the
> 5.reference folder in the help browser, then you would have the
> extra folder ...

Because it's another kludgey patch fix on top a whole bunch of other
kludgey patch fixes.   I think it's not worth spending time on
kludges, but instead work towards a real solution.  I have no plans
on touching the existing help browser/menu, it's just a place holder
until we have a real solution, IMHO.

>> So I think that yes, #2 should happen, but the rest needs to
>> follow  in the same release or it won't make much sense.
>
> Okay, I can make #2 happen (should be as easy as changing helpdir =
> $(libpddir)/extra in Makefile.buildlayout), but I have not much
> knowledge about the browser stuff ...

ok, the other stuff can happen later.  That distro is very raw anyway...

.hc

> LG
> Georg

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess
himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson