[PD-dev] pd and eclipse

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Feb 28 23:32:28 CET 2007

Hallo,
Kyle Klipowicz hat gesagt: // Kyle Klipowicz wrote:

> I am not really doing much programming for externals or anything, but
> it would help my learning to read about different approaches that
> people may take.

Here's how I work, if I do:

I use Vim, because I'm used to it and it rocks. ;) (Insert Emacs<->Vi
flameware here: < ... >)

I also like to have a Makefile ready, the one from
pd/doc/6.externs/makefile is fine.

Then I edit the external file in Vim, and if I want to compile I
either use Vim's "Make current Project" icon or the command ":make"
Now this is the time, when make fails because I wrote buggy code.

But because Vim is so smart it directly takes me to the point in my
code where I have an error because it can read the "make" output,
filter out the file name and line number and directly go there.

If I want to see the errors and warnings, I use the ":copen" and
":cclose" commands to open and close the error window. I can click on
errors there and Vim will transport me to the respective source file
and line.

Tags are also important. By using Vim's menu entry: "Tools->Build Tags
File" Vim will run ctags to generate a tags file. This quickly lets me
navigate the source by using the "Jump to this tag" and "jump back"
functions to look up code under the cursor.

A very useful extension is the taglist.vim plugin, that provides a
bird's eye view on the methods and variables in a source file. I don't
yet use a debugger directly with Vim, that's something I still need
to learn.

I use Vim not only for externals but for everything including Python
code, HTML stuff, qlists, magazine articles or this mail.

Emacs can do all this as well, of course, the choice is just a matter
of taste. Just make sure you choose an editor that can be customized a
lot, because Pd people like to fiddle.

Ciao