[PD-dev] Separating GUI from the engine in PD

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Tue Mar 13 07:01:44 CET 2007

Chris McCormick wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 12:27:33AM -0400, carmen wrote:
>> On Mon Mar 12, 2007 at 11:08:42AM +0100, Pierpaolo Marcon wrote:
>>> I'm trying to put Pd on a DSP processor, but I need to separate completely
>>> the Pd engine from the GUI.
>>> Does anybody knows if it is available on the web the Pd engine code?
>>> (without GUI)
>> sure.. just download PD from miller puckette's website. delete the GUI files, disable it in the makefile and on launch..
>>
>> the desireData branch has gone further than that, but im not sure how well it works with nogui. youre porably better off using csound, supercollider, or chuck, if you dont want a GUi, for the time being
>
> You also might want to try PDa - I had some trouble trying to compile Pd
> with no GUI (but that was some time ago).

I've compiled Pd without pd-gui, on a machine without X (and so probably
no tk, not sure about X).  Can't remember how I did it now, probably
./configure, make pd pdsend pdreceive, edit Makefile if/when make fails,
repeat as necessary.

I used pd -nogui -lib gridflow on that machine to render video.

Claude
--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org