[PD-dev] vbap in cvs

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 3 22:21:19 CEST 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 3:18 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> [...]
> pd-externals (OUTDATED - early 2003)
> pd-gem (early 2003)
> pd-osc (outdated - 2002)
> pure-data (uptodate - end 2006)
>
> i believe, that this page would be more useful if there were lots of
> uptodate packages.
>
> however, an example for an unstructured download page with lots(!) of
> packages (currently over 80!), is the plone-collective (projectname:
> "collective") found at
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=55262
> now this is _really_ a one-stop shop for loads of things.
> while the list is long, it is still managable to find what you need if
> you know what you are looking for.
> if you do not know what you are looking for, then everything with more
> than one package will get you lost.
>

> i agree though, that the puredata download page could and should be
> structured (which it is currently not).
> since sourceforge orders packages alphabetically, one would just
> have to
> find a naming scheme, where: pd-vanilla is at the top, pd-extended is
> prominent too, pd-externals are grouped together (though
> distinguishable
> via package names!) somewhere below.
> pd-devel&desiredata could go next to pd-extended and pd-vanilla (if
> desired).
> i don't think that pd-devel/desiredata should go _before_ pd-
> vanilla and
> pd-extended.
>
> so i would think of something like (annotations in ())
> - pd
> - pd-extended
> - pd-external-ann
> - pd-external-osc
> - pd-external-zexy
> - pure-desiredata
> - pure-devel
>
> a probably nicer way would be:
> - pure-data
> - pure-data-extended
> - pure-desiredata
> - pure-devel
> - pure-ext-ann
> - pure-ext-osc
> - pure-ext-zexy
>

> i don't know whether it is possible to rename already release
> package-sections, but i guess not (like so many things on
> sourceforge).
> (but after a check i see, that it is possible to "hide" packages,
> so one
> could eventually fake a renaming by hiding the original one and
> creating
> a new one)
>

>> How about puredata.info for random things that won't be regularly
>> updated?  There is the download wiki exactly for things like this.
>
> i do not agree here.
>
> the download wiki is a place to get information.
> the sourceforge release system is a place to get stuff.
> as said before, i would prefer if large amounts of data would not be
> hosted at puredata.info (yet).
> the sourceforge release system provides a world-wide distributed,
> redundant, high-bandwidth download system, something we could _never_

The packages on sourceforge can only be maintained by a release
manager.  Therefore, the only packages that should go on that page
should be packages that the release manager(s) will maintain.  I will
only maintain "pure-data" and "pd-extended" (and "pd-devel" if there
were ever any releases).  This really, really is not the place for
random downloads.  It is the place for final, maintained releases.
Adding all those release adds a ton of work with very little gain.

As for "pd-externals", "pd-gem", and "pd-osc", I would prefer to
delete those, but I didn't since it is serving as an archive.  All
these little random downloads will take hardly any bandwidth, they
are rarely downloaded, so i don't think that's a real concern.

What we should be doing is working to decentralize the work so the
library writing can do as much as possible by themselves.  I think a
eclipse style package manager for Pd would be the way.  That way each
person can easily host their own libraries, updates and all.

.hc

> mfg.asdr
> IOhannes

----

Mistrust authority - promote decentralization.  - the hacker ethic