[PD-dev] add_string_support.patch

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue May 1 21:46:44 CEST 2007

I usually use 'cvs diff -uw file.c' from pure-data/pd/src, and that
will "just work" with the packages/patches automation.

.hc

On May 1, 2007, at 3:02 PM, <martin.peach at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Is there a correct way to use diff to make the paths properly in
> the first place? Do you have to run it from a particular location
> or specify a path?
> Also I agree that string should be blob (or puredata ;)) since
> string implies text and it's really able to manipulate any kind of
> byte data.
>
> Martin
>
>> From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>

>>> the last one was another mail where i clicked "send" before
>>> thinking.
>>>
>>> the "-p 2" would strip _at most_ the first 2 "path-elements" (see
>>> 'man
>>> patch' for a better explanation) of the filenames. so
>>> "pd/src/g_rtext.c" becomes "g_rtext.c", while "src/g_canvas.c"
>>> becomes
>>> "g_canvas.c" and "m_pd.h" stays the same.
>>>
>>> so all patches should apply just as fine as they do now, and the
>>> string-support patch would apply too.
>>>
>>> apart from that, i agree that all patches should be "normalized" in
>>> a way.
>>> (and that "string" really should be "blob")
>>
>> Feel free to add this stuff to the build system, as long as it works
>> on all platforms.  an older sed is installed on everything in the
>> auto-build farm.  But it might save more trouble in the long run to
>> keep a consistent format.  Hard to say...
>>
>> .hc

If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into
the possession of everyone, and the receiver cannot dispossess
himself of it.            - Thomas Jefferson