[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-1726171 ] packOSC does not accept LONG lists.

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat May 26 20:51:20 CEST 2007

SourceForge.net wrote:
> since OSCx crashes with long lists (>50) i tried out the mrpeach/osc/ externals as replacement.
>
> unfortunately, this object has also some limitations, since the maximum number of arguments in a list is hardcoded to 2000.
> (nevertheless this object checks whether this limit is reached and refuses to crash ;-)
>
> i do not see a reason for this limitation (apart from ease of coding), afaik OSC does not impose a maximum number of list arguments.

so i have checked the osc documentation again and it does not seem to
impose any restrictions on the number and length of the messages (apart
from being 4byte aligned)

while my patch removes the hardcoded maximum _count_ of list atoms, it
does not remove the maximum buffer size (which limits the usefulness of
my patch).
it would be great if this limitation could be removed too.

on the receiving side (unpackOSC) there is a maximum list length too,
but this is set higher (65536)

imo, this limitation should be removed too. (unless pd can only handle
lists of a maximum length of 65536 atoms, which i have not checked)

mfa-sdr
IOhannes