[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-1728405 ] keyname issues in Windows

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed May 30 18:08:26 CEST 2007

Bugs item #1728405, was opened at 2007-05-30 17:39
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by sistisette
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=478070&aid=1728405&group_id=55736

not just the latest update.
Category: puredata
Group: v0.40.2

Initial Comment:
I only have tested this on Windows XP.

The [keyname] doesn't handle correctly at least the following keys:
- space bar
- enter
- escape

It doesn't correctly return the key name on the right outlet.

With the space bar key, it returns "symbol  ", which probably is "symbol" plus a space, but however, "symbol space" or something like that would be more appropriate, since in PD a space in a message is equivalent to just nothing and there is no way to handle it as far as I understand.

With enter key, it seems to output "symbol " followed by the actual newline character (appears as a square in the output window in Windows)

With the escape key, it has a peculiar and incoherent behaviour: on keydown, it outputs "symbol " plus some special character (and outputs a 1 on the left outlet), while on keyup it outputs "symbol Escape" (and a 0 on the left outlet) which is correct.

I think all keys should have a name.
However, if we accept that some keys don't have a name, I think [keyname] shouldn't output anything when those keys are pressed or releases, just like [key] and [keyup] don't output anything when an unrecognized key is pressed.