[PD-dev] Compilation on OSX

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu May 31 21:11:54 CEST 2007

On May 30, 2007, at 3:41 PM, David Plans Casal wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
> On 30 May 2007, at 18:23, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> There are patches in packages/patches that allow you to compile on
>> Mac OS X.  Pd-0.40.2-extended is building every night these days.
>
> Cool. However, I was wondering how to go about fixing the problem,
> more than just get it to compile for myself.
>
> I've never encountered lipo before and can't understand why this
> build would have a problem with libtcl...
>
> What's the difference between HEAD and 0.40.2-extended in terms of
> their libtcl dependency?

There is no difference AFAIK in how HEAD and 0.40.2-extended uses Tcl/
Tk.  IIRC, HEAD is using lipo manually to assemble universal/fat
binaries.  The proper way to do that is by specifying -arch flags to
gcc, then gcc will call lipo for you.

That could be the first thing you tackle, cleaning up the universal
binary compilation in HEAD.  So far, I just added --disable-fat to ./
configure to turn off that stuff and just build on the native
architecture.