[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-1738708 ] won't open files with $0 in file name

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jun 19 09:44:59 CEST 2007

SourceForge.net wrote:

> The original example file should be called "array with $0.pd".

still frank is right when he says you shouldn't upload filenames with
spaces to the sf tracker...
and i add that you shouldn't use filenames with spaces at all.
(though you could try to name your directories "AUX", which is fun too...)

> As for how to handle these, I don't think we should do anything special
> for abstractions, they can be left as is, otherwise it'll induce confusion,
> IMHO.  I am just thinking that people's patches might have something like
> "this patch earned me $2.pd" and they would like to be able to open it.

so you are rather suggesting that people should be able to File->Open
any file that they can find via the filebrowser? but not necessarily be
able to use them as abstractions? e.g. filenames with spaces map very
badly to classnames (even though it is possible).

i basically agree.

(but then i never made a big distinction between patches and
abstractions (on the filesystem level): all my abstractions started as
standalone patches; many standalone patches evolved into abstractions.
this needs extra work if the patch-filename is something i cannot use as
an abstraction name.)

mh.adft
IOhannes