[PD-dev] changing netsend

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Jun 22 19:15:39 CEST 2007

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Alex Q wrote:

> I think that the "list", "float" and "symbol" selectors are somewhat
> obvious and should be types, not selectors. Those selectors bring some
> ankward constructs like that. For this (pd!) software, it might be too
> late, but for the next dataflow generation, it is not...

float and symbol and pointer correspond to atomtypes and are used because
pd is designed to accept those atoms using three separate methods; the
type-signature could be considered part of the selector (it is in
C++/Java) or could be considered part of the dispatch (it is in LISP). In
pd it's neither (as in Python/Ruby/Perl/etc) because because it still has
to be split in three methods, it's exposed right in the user's face.
Instead I'd prolly enjoy a selector or atom called "atom" or "value".

pd's "list" selector does not correspond to any atom type. What do you
want to do with that?