[PD-dev] cleanup of CVS

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Jul 5 05:53:58 CEST 2007

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 12:56:05PM +0200, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Chris McCormick wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 11:50:00AM +0200, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> >> Chris McCormick wrote:
> but puredata.info _is_ a dedicated server (not just a vhost or something).
> so the difference between 1 and 3 is, that the iem pays for #1 while
> somebody else would have to pay for #3.

yep.

> i have the impression (being administrator of this server), that we
> (that is: the pd-community) do have full control of puredata.info.
> obviously not everybody has root access to this machine, but i doubt
> whether it would be a good idea to give everyone root-access to a rented
> server (#3).

agree.

> > I was under the impression that the IEM option was IEM donating server
> > resources with yourself doing the administration.
>
> yes you are correct, but how does this differ from 3 (see above)

With 1, IEM are involved and you must do the administration. With 3, they
aren't involved, we must pay, and anyone nominated by this list can do
the administration. I don't mind either way, as long as the job gets done
(but I feel bad that the IEM option incurs lots of work for you).

> >> as for savanna: how is this different from just staying at sourceforge?
> > We know the SF sucks. Do we have evidence that Savanna sucks?
>
> i do not have evidence that savanna sucks.
> but i'd rather have evidence that it does not suck, before going there.

Yep, agree.

> somebody should come up with a good layout ofthe svn-repository
> (actually i think that this is the point where all the former attempts died)

To my mind, migrating to SVN and re-organisation of the repository are
two separate tasks. Why not migrate first, and re-organise second?

I am happy with switching to SVN on SF, but I am concerned about
Frank's point about there being no fine grained control over directory
permissions. However, is this much worse than what we have now? To me
it seems it's only better because we would be using the feature rich
SVN as opposed to CVS.

> for the former, does anybody know how to handle ldap-groups in
> subversion? is this possible at all??

What do you think of Luke's suggestions?

Before we do anything, we should make sure that the majority of this
list is happy with the final decision on hosting + source control
software.

Chris.