[PD-dev] PD-cvs Digest, Vol 29, Issue 11

martin.peach at sympatico.ca martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 12 23:31:05 CEST 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> > Martin Peach wrote:
> >> IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> >
> > OK, I changed packOSC to output negative delays and it's now

Oops, that should say unpackOSC...

> > obvious, even on the same machine a "current" time tag always has a
> > slight negative delay, whereas an "immediate" time tag is always
> > exactly zero.
> > That leaves the slight problem of a "future" message that arrives
> > exactly on time...
> > Martin
>
> Wow, nice work!  That sounds like it'll be quite easy to use timetags
> now.  Is there anyway to generate timetags with Pd yet?

Well, packOSC does that when you open a bundle, you can also specify an offset. Is there a need for actual raw timetags?
I started an external to generate them as a list of four floats (64 bits split into four 16-bit numbers). Then I realized it's easier to use millisecond delays since that's what pd is using, so unpackOSC just converts the received time tag into a millisecond delay relative to the current time. This could be altered easily by adding a constant at the outlet.

Martin