[PD-dev] devel_0_39 ? devel_0_40 ?

Miller Puckette mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu
Sun Jul 22 01:09:45 CEST 2007

As it happens I'm just having a look at devel_0_39, trying to compile
it to see if I can get any latency wins from the callback scheduling
and/or settable blocksizes.

I think there are other enhancements in there (we heard recently about
SYSEX MIDI on OSX) that warrant putting into 0.41.  If these are available
as patches to 0.41 itself, they're much easier for me to apply, but certain
changes are so non-local (like the SSE speedups) that the only way to proceed
is looking at any version that has the enhancement in question and deciding
how to fit it nicely into 0.41.

The "devel" branch seems to have filled two purposes simultaneously.  I think
a few people actually were using devel_0_39 in productions, but it also
served as a testbed for things to merge into the "head".

There are fully THREE pathways proposed for introducing changes into Pd; the
third is Pd_extended in which, if I understand it correctly, some patches
are applied to Pd in order to resolve various compatibility problems with
external libraries (e.g., scoping of symbols in dynamic linking?) which
might, or might not, also be reflected in devel_0_39.

Finally, 0.40 still isn't 64-bit safe; for that you'll need 0.41.  This
is a serious problem in some distributions of linux in which many libraries
aren't available in 32-bit form in the 64-bit version of the OS.  Just as
a teaser, I tried running the same patch as 32-bit and 64-bit programs on
my 64-bit machine, hoping to find the 32-bit version so much faster that I
could just forget optimizing the 64 bit version entirely.  But I found the
64-bit one 33% faster than the 32-bit one for the particular patch I tried.
So 64-bit compatibility has to be taken seriously!

cheers
Miller