[PD-dev] devel_0_39 ? devel_0_40 ?

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Sun Jul 22 10:18:00 CEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 16:09 -0700, Miller Puckette wrote:

> Finally, 0.40 still isn't 64-bit safe; for that you'll need 0.41.
> This
> is a serious problem in some distributions of linux in which many
> libraries
> aren't available in 32-bit form in the 64-bit version of the OS.  Just
> as
> a teaser, I tried running the same patch as 32-bit and 64-bit programs
> on
> my 64-bit machine, hoping to find the 32-bit version so much faster
> that I
> could just forget optimizing the 64 bit version entirely.  But I found
> the
> 64-bit one 33% faster than the 32-bit one for the particular patch I
> tried.
> So 64-bit compatibility has to be taken seriously!

when compiling for x86_64, floating-point opertations are generated for
the sse unit instead of the fpu ...
seeing the increased number of xmm registers, less memory operations
need to be used ... e.g. second order systems (biquad) can be computed
in registers only ...
another nice side-effect is the more robust handling of denormal numbers
on the sse unit ...

tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://tim.klingt.org

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
  Confucius