[PD-dev] devel_0_39 ? devel_0_40 ?

Miller Puckette mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu
Tue Jul 24 20:08:11 CEST 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 12:20:33PM +0200, Tim Blechmann wrote:
> > Now for the hard part: in Pd, 32-bit floating point tables are stored as
> > 64-but 'atoms' for a 50% hit in memory efficiency.  Something Must Be Done;
> > but what?
>
> split audio buffers and array-of-atoms? maybe this could include
> rewriting the whole audio buffers with an asynchronous interface ...
> imo, data structures and audio buffer have completely different
> real-time and performance constraints, so i see no real benefit in
> combining both concepts ...

Well, I only just combined table~ with 'data structures' in 0.39 (I
think), because there were hundreds of lines of essentially duplicate
GUI code for the two types of arrays.

The other complication is that I'm trying to design a new system of
buffers suitable for images, perhaps with 8- 16- and 32- bit cells.
It would be desirable for tabread4~ and all that to be able to talk to
images too.  Big design problem...

cheers