[PD-dev] pdstring's crashing

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 25 01:00:48 CEST 2007

Bryan Jurish wrote:
> all that allocation
> and de-allocation at every message just makes my skin crawl... maybe we
> should find a better way to do it... or just use Martin's string patches ;-)

When I made the [str] external that uses the string atom, I found that
constantly reallocating/resizing memory eventually crashed pd so I ended
up just allocating a big wad of space up front for each [str]. If the
user can set the initial size of this memory then the amount of wasted
ram may be minimized, but the default is quite large.

Martin