[PD-dev] any2string problem

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jul 31 20:04:34 CEST 2007

On Jul 31, 2007, at 12:56 AM, Bryan Jurish wrote:

> moin again,
>
> On 2007-07-31 09:43:21, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> appears to have written:
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> There is a glitch in any2string that is stopping Pd-extended
>>> from  building:
>>>
>> i fixed that yesterday.
>
> thanks!
>
>> and it is rather a glitch in the assumptions the externals/build/src/
>> makes than in the pdstring, which just builds perfectly.
>
> i don't wish to agitate slumbering canines, but it would be nice if
> the externals/build system and pdstring (also gfsm, readdir, etc)
> played nicely with one another.  I keep putting off writing default
> externals/build-compatibile makefiles, basically because I think
> there's got to be a "better" way to do it, most likely involving
> automake|autoconf.  any m4 hackers on the list these days?
>
> also, i seem to recall hearing or reading recently something to the
> effect that "multiple-object libraries are deprecated" -- is there
> any knock-down drag-out argument why this should be so?

I make no claims that what exists is a great system.  But it is far
better than anything else that exists.  If someone wants to replace
the whole thing that would be great, as long as they first do it
outside of the existing system to prove it works, then it could be
integrated into the main builds.  There also has to be a solid, long
term commitment from some devs to maintain it.

I would love to hand over all that to someone, but I really do not
want to spend more time working around new build issues, that's why I
am insistent that it is created outside of the mainstream builds first.

As for maintaining your code in the existing Pd-extended build
system, no one is obligated.  But if you add your code/library to it,
then you need to maintain what you have setup, IMHO.  If you want
your code to be distributed and work with Pd-extended, then you'll
want to maintain it within the Pd-extended build system.

.hc

> marmosets,
> 	Bryan
>
> --
> Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more
> bug."
> jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic
> Entomology

----

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.