[PD-dev] any2string problem

Bryan Jurish moocow at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Aug 3 01:35:04 CEST 2007

moin moin,

On 2007-08-01 05:05:27, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> appears to
have written:

> This has been discussed quite a bit on the lists and at the Pd Con 1.
> Here's the basic synopsis with the problems with the
> multi-class-single-file libs:
>
> 1) no way to sort out name conflicts
> 2) every object is loaded regardless of whether it's used.
> 3) does not work with namespaces (i.e. [moocow/any2string])

(2) is certainly true.  That's the whole point of multi-object
libraries, isn't it?  I think it can even be advantage, if a large
shared codebase is used by multiple objects in a library (take gfsm as
an example: a full static build takes almost 3 times the memory of a
dynamic one: memory is cheap, but that's no excuse for inefficiency!)

Frankly, I just don't believe (1) or (3) is actually the case.  I'll
grant that multi-object libraries don't get you either (1) or (3) "for
free" (as the filesystem does), i.e. without changes to the pd core, but
they're most definitely solveable problems.  (OK... I admit I don't
really want to solve them either, but I'd prefer to hunker down on
fixing the "real" problems than to see Pd go the way of java just
because it seems like the path of least resistance)...

> Plus once libdir format is more flushed out, there will also be embedded
> help, examples, etc. and a common library format regardless of which
> language the objects are written in (Pd, C, etc.)

This is all great, but I don't think any of it actually conflicts with
multi-object libraries -- you'd just have a multilib as an external in
its own directory: so what?

marmosets,
	Bryan

--
Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more bug."
jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology