[PD-dev] any2string problem

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Aug 3 01:41:53 CEST 2007

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Bryan Jurish wrote:

>> 1) no way to sort out name conflicts
>> 2) every object is loaded regardless of whether it's used.
>> 3) does not work with namespaces (i.e. [moocow/any2string])
> (2) is certainly true.

(2) is not true, because dlopen uses mmap, and mmap uses lazy loading for
parts that are "loaded" in read-only mode. This is regardless of RTLD_LAZY
vs RTLD_NOW: those flags are about symbol resolution; actual inclusion of
the file into the process's memory is done using CPU-level virtual memory
and the kernel's disk-cache.

(What I say is the case on at least Linux and OSX; can't quite speak for
MS)