[PD-dev] Build integration

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Aug 4 03:25:22 CEST 2007

On Aug 3, 2007, at 2:04 AM, Bryan Jurish wrote:

> moin moin,
>
> On 2007-08-03 08:23:14, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>
> appears to
> have written:
>> The global variables $(pd_src) are defined in packages/
>> Makefile.buildlayout:
>>
>> pd_src = $(cvs_root_dir)/pd
>>
>> so m_pd.h is in $(pd_src)/src
>
> ack.  i saw that my additions had broken the pd-extended daily build
> yesterday, so i removed 'moocow' from LIB_TARGETS again.  I'll test
> extensively here before adding it again.  many apologies!

Don't worry about removing it unless you don't have time to fix it
within a few days. Then I'd start to nag ;)  We've all broken the
nightly builds before, you're not the first :D.  It's there to make
our lives easier, not harder.

>>> unified
>>> conventions for handling machine-specific optimization flags ("-
>>> march="
>>> and friends).
> [snip]
>>> ... I'd like to motion for the establishment of some
>>> convention
>>> here.
>>
>> We should use a standard method for this kind of thing, like
>> autoconf.  This would another advantage of a unified build system.
>> This mostly works with Pd-extended now, but it could be handled much
>> better.
>
> in fact, one of my major beefs with autoconf is that the AC_PROG_CC
> macro insists on (re-)setting CFLAGS (on gcc systems, it gets re-
> set to
> "-g -O2").  I work around it by caching and re-instantiating the value
> before and after AC_PROC_CC...  so even with autoconf, we would need
> either (a) hacks or (b) explicit variable name semantics
> conventions, if
> we want (as I would like) to be able to lug machine-local flags around
> in the environment.

I think it would make a lot of sense for the existing Pd-extended
build system to be replaced with a proper automake/autoconf system
that was used throughout.  Anyone know of any example projects with
many modules that are handled using autotools?

.hc

> marmosets,
> 	Bryan
>
> --
> Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more
> bug."
> jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic
> Entomology

----