[PD-dev] problems building FFTW-enabled pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Aug 18 22:23:49 CEST 2007

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

> Just to make thing clear - I mean FFTW2, not yet FFTW3. Since FFTW3 is
> around for a couple of years, I expected FFTW2 to work. Maybe not the
> last FFTW2 version ? Did I expect too much ?

Let's call it a non-feature. Miller bundled a piece of functionality that
isn't functioning. It's ok because it's disabled by default, even when you
have the actual library installed. I do that a lot too, because I don't
want to bother to separate sketches and scaffolds into separate folders
that don't get distributed and stuff. After all, if one wants to pick up
the sketch and finish it, good for them.

> I even saw a FFTW3 patch, but it applies below the problematic piece of
> code, so I don't think applying it and using FFTW3 would solve the
> problem.

The FFTW3 patch is independent: you don't do --enable-fftw for it. I think
it's a separate option. I don't have the time to look at what the actual
diff looks like, but I've seen some parts of the diff a while ago.

> Anyway, web search engines give matches WRT pd and FFT. Is there an
> older pd version supporting FFT of any kind ?

The devel_0_39, devel_0_38, ... branches contain code for FFT that has
been submitted to Miller several years ago, before he started working on
FFTW2 support. Those branches contained an already-patched pd with most of
the submitted diffs, and actually were the original branches from which
those diffs got created.

My branch also has the FFTW3 code in it, but it can't be enabled at the
moment: it would need some more work to get there.