[PD-dev] pd041-test6 auto(connect) feedbacks MIDI.

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Mon Sep 10 04:44:37 CEST 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 03:48:23PM -0700, Miller Puckette wrote:
> I think alsa-MIDI is only included since very recently (I got it from
> soneone else, I forget who) so it shouldn't be a problem to change the
> behavior.
>
> Do you think the correct thing would be just to open one MIDI input and
> output device?

Yes, with Winfried's point about need different names for different Pd
instances. It would be so great if one could tell Pd which specific alsa
midi devices one wanted it to connect to on the command line instad
of having to use aconnect on the command line, or aconnectgui after
starting Pd.

> Anyway, OSS MIDI is much better API than ALSA, I don't know why anyone uses
> the latter :)

Because the Alsa system is much much friendlier and more flexible than
the OSS system for the user. That sucks that it's more complicated for
the programmer.

Best,

Chris.