[PD-dev] repository layout: tags

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Sep 11 20:10:43 CEST 2007

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> this is a subtopic, for those who want to join the discussion on svn.
> converting an cvs repository to svn, will create a directory of all branches
> and tags (that's the way how svn handles branches/tags)
> however, i think a lot of these branches do not necessarily need to be
> imported into an svn-repository, mostly the "initial checkin" branches are
> totally redundant in my opinion.

Converting a repository means importing the complete information of the
previous repository into the new repository, so that you never need the
old repository for any reason whatsoever.

If you want so much to remove existing tags and branches, what is that a
sign of? Is SVN appropriate for handling projects that have many tags and
branches? What about future branches and tags, will I have to justify them
before I create them, so that there aren't too many at once?