[PD-dev] repository layout: tags

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Sep 12 01:40:38 CEST 2007

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> hi again.
>
> this is a subtopic, for those who want to join the discussion on svn.
>
> converting an cvs repository to svn, will create a directory of all branches
> and tags (that's the way how svn handles branches/tags)
>
> however, i think a lot of these branches do not necessarily need to be
> imported into an svn-repository, mostly the "initial checkin" branches are
> totally redundant in my opinion.
>

> here is a list of tags which i think could be deleted without problems:
>
> #TAGS:misc
> import (htdocs pd-msg aenv~ bsaylor susloop~ svf~ vadsr~ xgui zhzxh~)

These tags are useful for handling imported code that is maintained
elsewhere.  Does SVN handle this differently?

> berforeappmain (packages/darwin_app)
>
> #TAGS:externals
> flext (flext)
> HEAD (ggee timestretch vbap vst)
> initial (hdspm_mixer, sprinkler)
> KEYBOARDKEYS_0 (keyboardkeys)
> LIBDIR_0_0 (loaders/libdir, hcs/classpath, hcs/import)
> PRE-PD-039 (rradical)
> src_dist (comport)
> start (externals/build, ekext, packages/darwin_pkg, scripts)
> TOMSCHOUTEN (pdp)
> xsample (flext, py, xsample)
>
> #TAGS:pd
> atl_darwin
>

> here is a list of branches which i think could be deleted without problems:
>
> #BRANCHES:externals
> abs (iemmatrix)
> AKA (wiiremote)

again, this is because I am tracking external code, this is one of the
things that branches help with.

> alexandrequessy (aalex, pdmtl)
> APPLE (hcs/hid)

ditto

> ASAVITSKY (keyboardkeys)
> bsaylor (aenv~, bsaylor, susloop~, svf~, vadß~, zhzxh~)

ditto

There are more like this.  Purging tags could be a tricky proposition.   I
think the purge list should be opt-in rather than opt-out to prevent
losing important data.

.hc

 	zen
 	   \