[PD-dev] repository layout

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Sep 12 09:50:04 CEST 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> I use branches of the whole thing for Pd-extended, so I like this layout:
>
> /branches/pd-extended/pd-extended-0-40-3
>
> Also, the same goes for the trunk, I think we should think of all this
> stuff as one big project, or one meta-project if youwant to thikn about it
> that way.  So I agree with IOhannes, having the subfolders in trunk rather
> than the trunk in the subfolder, i.e.

thanks :-)
the main reason why i proposed the it like i did is: it changes the
repositoy layout in a minimal way (compared to the current layout)

if you want to checkout the entire repository, you should be able to do
something as simple as:
  svn co https://.../svnroot/pure-data/trunk
and that's it.
the other option would be:
  svn co https://.../svnroot/pure-data/pd/trunk pd
  svn co https://.../svnroot/pure-data/externals/zexy/trunk externs/zexy
  svn co https://.../svnroot/pure-data/externals/iem/trunk externs/iem

not really a one liner, isn't it?

otoh, one could create "bundles" in subversion that bundle together all
the components you want.
- either you could do this via links (that is "softlinks" as in unix
filesystems), but i am not sure about this.
- or, and that is one of the cool things in svn, by specifying
"external" sources via the "svn:externals" property.
this allows you to pull in a number of dependencies (repository
directories) and rearrange them at your will.

but of course this is work to do for those who want to create a
one-click checkout of the entire repository.
(but then there are not so many people who really want that: obviously
it would be good to be able to checkout the entire "trunk" of a working pd

honestly i think it is too much work to split the repository into
sub-projects.
(unless of course, there is a majority for organizing it like that)

mfg.asdr
IOhannes