[PD-dev] repository layout: tags

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Sep 13 05:23:54 CEST 2007

On Sep 12, 2007, at 4:22 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>>
>>> #TAGS:misc
>>> import (htdocs pd-msg aenv~ bsaylor susloop~ svf~ vadsr~ xgui
>>> zhzxh~)
>> These tags are useful for handling imported code that is
>> maintained elsewhere.
>
> thats what the documentation says.
> have you ever made any use of the "useful" thing?

Yes, I've used it to track Tom Schouten's changes to PDP, for example.

>> Does SVN handle this differently?
>
> yes and now.
> yes: you don't _have_ to create a tag and a branch whenever you
> import code.
> no: you can import code that is maintained elsewhere into a branch,
> a tag, the trunk (or just any other directory)
> yes: svn is able to handle references to external (svn!)
> repositories (which imo is better than blindly importing anything
> useful)

That sounds horrendous to me, then you are forced to track their
changes.  Could you imagine if we tracked portaudio like that with
Pd?  We'd spent half our dev time fixing breakage caused by portaudio
changes.  It's a very useful thing to keep code static until you are
ready for change.

> so the answer is: you can do it like you did in cvs, but you can
> handle it more appropriate at your own judgement.
>
>> There are more like this.  Purging tags could be a tricky
>> proposition.   I think the purge list should be opt-in rather than
>> opt-out to prevent losing important data.
>
> well yes, i would agree.
> but who remembers that there was a "dacblocksize" branch of pd?
> who works on this? will there ever be work done on this again?
> (fyi: "dacblocksize" is a branch i have made; the purpose of the
> branch has been reached (although the code never made it into pd);
> i have not worked on it for some years; i have no plans to work on
> it ever again (and if i did, i would have to start from the
> beginning anyhow); i have plainly forgotten that this branch ever
> existed; i would love to see it deleted)

That's why I think opt-in is key.  I don't think just because people
can't rememeber at the moment what something is used for, it should
be deleted.  But if you know what it is, and that it should go, then
delete it.

.hc

> i hope that (more) people read more carefully in an opt-out process.
> (even though it could be really handled as an opt-in)
>
> finally, did i say "purging"? i should have said "deleting" (within
> the version control system, rather than purging outside it); no
> data will be lost: you can always go back to an older revision to
> retrieve the data)
>
> fmga.sdr
> IOhannes

----

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli