[PD-dev] repository layout: tags

Luke Iannini (pd) lukexipd at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 06:06:50 CEST 2007

> >> Does SVN handle this differently?
> >
> > yes and now.
> > yes: you don't _have_ to create a tag and a branch whenever you
> > import code.
> > no: you can import code that is maintained elsewhere into a branch,
> > a tag, the trunk (or just any other directory)
> > yes: svn is able to handle references to external (svn!)
> > repositories (which imo is better than blindly importing anything
> > useful)
>
> That sounds horrendous to me, then you are forced to track their
> changes.  Could you imagine if we tracked portaudio like that with
> Pd?  We'd spent half our dev time fixing breakage caused by portaudio
> changes.  It's a very useful thing to keep code static until you are
> ready for change.

You can set a specific revision to reference, so that this does not happen.

A cool thing I've been doing recently with the externals feature is using
them more like symlinks; so for portaudio you can put the revision you want
to stay static in a central location (e.g. /svnexternals/portaudio) and then
set /that/ as the external directory.  That way you still have a single
copy, but it is replicated to everywhere it is needed.

Cheers
Luke