[PD-dev] repository layout

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Sep 13 11:07:55 CEST 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>> however, once we have moved to SVN i would like to make an
>> experimental branch of pd-extended to re-work the entire build-system
>> into small (managable) pieces that are modular and survive directory
>> re-structuring.
>> i know that you are not really interested in that, but probably others
>> are :-)
>
> I am all for improving things, but it seems that this would need to
> happen before reorganizing the repository.

doing this in an svn repository will be so much more easy.

> Otherwise we are without
> pd-extended builds until it happens.

no not quite true.
1st of all, all the /externals would be compiled as usual. (nothing
changes here, just some things get added)
however /abstractions would be left out of pd-extended at first.
then you could just move the abstractions/Makefile as a temporary hack
to externals/Makefile.abstractions and call that from externals/Makefile
(the same with other stuff, which i am currently unaware that it is in
pd-extended: e.g. gripd(?))

this should be doable in one afternoon.

> That's not why I spent all my free
> time one summer building the Pd-extended and the auto-build farm.
> Switching to SVN is not a good enough reason for major breakage.

i see your point. that is why i always opposed to a monolithic
non-scalable build-system: it makes refactoring hard if not impossible.

fmasdr.
IOhannes