[PD-dev] repository layout

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Sep 13 17:05:58 CEST 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 10:08:27PM +0200, Steffen wrote:

> On 12/09/2007, at 20.50, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> >IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> >
> >>personally i think "externals" is exactly the name: it means "pd
> >>stuff
> >>that does not come with pd itself", rather than "pd-objects
> >>written in C"
> >
> >How about "extensions"? Somehow the word "externals" has sunken in as
> >meaning binary externals written in C/C++ and "abstractions" are
> >Pd patches and we don't have a word yet for non-compiled object
> >written in Python etc. so "extensions" could grab all of these
> >together without a need to change the words we're used to.
>
> By the best of intentions -- I think that's a nice 'bike shed' colour.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by this Steffen, but I think that
I agree with Frank here that it's a really good idea to have a word that
we can use that encompasses "externals", "abstractions", and anything else
that can be instantiated as an object in Pd, and that "extensions" is a
great name for that. I would be loathe to call them all 'externals' since
as Frank says, that name is generally reserved for compiled extensions to
the Pd object set and would become really confusing really quickly. In
short; I'd like to be a disciple in Roman's church of consistency. :)

Best,

Chris.