[PD-dev] repository layout: tags

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Sep 13 17:08:44 CEST 2007

On Sep 13, 2007, at 12:06 AM, Luke Iannini (pd) wrote:

> >> Does SVN handle this differently?
> >
> > yes and now.
> > yes: you don't _have_ to create a tag and a branch whenever you
> > import code.
> > no: you can import code that is maintained elsewhere into a branch,
> > a tag, the trunk (or just any other directory)
> > yes: svn is able to handle references to external (svn!)
> > repositories (which imo is better than blindly importing anything
> > useful)
>
> That sounds horrendous to me, then you are forced to track their
> changes.  Could you imagine if we tracked portaudio like that with
> Pd?  We'd spent half our dev time fixing breakage caused by portaudio
> changes.  It's a very useful thing to keep code static until you are
> ready for change.
>
> You can set a specific revision to reference, so that this does not
> happen.
>
> A cool thing I've been doing recently with the externals feature is
> using them more like symlinks; so for portaudio you can put the
> revision you want to stay static in a central location ( e.g. /
> svnexternals/portaudio) and then set /that/ as the external
> directory.  That way you still have a single copy, but it is
> replicated to everywhere it is needed.

How well does this really work in production?  It's really pretty
easy to import code into repositories and manage it there.  The idea
is cool, but I am not really up for beta testing svn features.  There
are plenty of Pd bugs to deal with :D.  This import feature has been
around for 10+ years in CVS at least.

.hc

> Cheers
> Luke