[PD-dev] more on the 12 point font mystery

Miller Puckette mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu
Sun Sep 23 04:00:24 CEST 2007

Hi HC,

Two issues I don't know how to deal with yet: first, although I agree the
fonts you're using seem to have nearly consistent sizes, they are smaller
than the "traditional" sizes so everyone's existing patches will look wrong.
For compatibilty's sake Pd should somehow read old patches with the old
sizes by default.

Second, I gather that lucida isn't guaranteed to be installed in linux or
other flavors of unix (BSD, anyone?)  In particular, the default install
of Fedora/Gnome doesn't seem to have it.  So Pd has to be able to do something
appropriate when lucida isn't there.

These are probably quite possible to solve.  In a related skirmish, I have
to introduce a new file format in some upcoming release to allow for
controlling the width of boxes, which, stupidly, I never left a place for
in the current format.

cheers