[PD-dev] more on the 12 point font mystery

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Sep 23 07:48:32 CEST 2007

On Sep 22, 2007, at 10:00 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:

> Hi HC,
>
> Two issues I don't know how to deal with yet: first, although I
> agree the
> fonts you're using seem to have nearly consistent sizes, they are
> smaller
> than the "traditional" sizes so everyone's existing patches will
> look wrong.
> For compatibilty's sake Pd should somehow read old patches with the
> old
> sizes by default.

On my Debian etch machine, the Pd-extended fonts are slightly larger:

http://pow.idmi.poly.edu/~hans/pdfonts/screenshots/hcs/Debian-
etch_new-old_compare.png

As for the other platforms, on Windows, the fonts were always too
small, on Mac OS X, they were too big, and on GNU/Linux, things are
all over the place because things can be configured so many different
ways.  For example, on my Debian Etch machine, it doesn't have
Courier installed (it's not installed by default), so it's using some
other font.  I think this is pretty common. So basically, there is no
existing standard size.

> Second, I gather that lucida isn't guaranteed to be installed in
> linux or
> other flavors of unix (BSD, anyone?)  In particular, the default
> install
> of Fedora/Gnome doesn't seem to have it.  So Pd has to be able to
> do something
> appropriate when lucida isn't there.

Any flavor of Lucida is guaranteed to be installed only on Windows.
I wasn't suggesting to use it as the default font on all platforms,
only Windows, as long as it is very close in size to Bitstream Vera
Sans Mono.  For example, Pd-extended uses Monaco as the default font
on Mac OS X which is very close in size to Bitstream Vera Sans Mono.

It's a shame they aren't free since they are very nice fonts.  They
are included with Java, but you probably don't want to make people
install Java in order to get the fonts working properly. :D

> These are probably quite possible to solve.  In a related skirmish,
> I have
> to introduce a new file format in some upcoming release to allow for
> controlling the width of boxes, which, stupidly, I never left a
> place for
> in the current format.

That would be nice to have for sure.

.hc