[PD-dev] more on the 12 point font mystery

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Sep 23 09:25:41 CEST 2007

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007, Miller Puckette wrote:

> Second, I gather that lucida isn't guaranteed to be installed in linux or
> other flavors of unix (BSD, anyone?)  In particular, the default install
> of Fedora/Gnome doesn't seem to have it.  So Pd has to be able to do something
> appropriate when lucida isn't there.

And that solution also has to work with Tk 8.5.

> These are probably quite possible to solve.  In a related skirmish, I have
> to introduce a new file format in some upcoming release to allow for
> controlling the width of boxes

for example:
   #X obj 100 50 fuddle~;
   #V width 160 \, bg 0xFF0000 \, fg 0xFFFF00;
   #X obj 100 100 duddle~;
   #X connect 0 0 1 0;
   #V fg 0xFF00FF \, label this\ is\ a\ label;

This makes two boxes, the first one being 160 pixels wide, the second
being default width (fitted to text width or inlets width or outlets
width, whichever is greatest). The first box is yellow on red, whereas the
second uses default colours. The wire between the two objects is labeled.
The label position is not specified, so it would be placed automatically
by default.

I don't know whether it would be preferable to quote the commas or not,
but it doesn't really make much of a difference.

The above snippet can be loaded correctly by pd, so it is in that sense
backwards-compatible, although pd won't be able to resave any #V commands.

#V represents the "visual attribute table" of the most recently created
object or wire (t_pd *newest; although it's only in Dd that a new wire
gets assigned to that variable)