[PD-dev] pdlua: volatile objects...?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Sep 23 11:14:28 CEST 2007

Hallo,
zmoelnig at iem.at hat gesagt: // zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> using the great pdlua extension it is easy to create object(classe)s in lua.
> however, the class is registered on loading and then kept in memory of pd.
>
> for rapid prototyping it would sometimes be nice to be able to do a
> "volatile" load (just like abstractions) of an object: so when i
> change the code and re-instantiate the object, i will get a new version.

pyext has this, but AFAIK it isn't using the loader functionality when
used as [pyext ...]. I agree that some way to reload is very handy,
especially when one is still learning Lua and pdlua. Also the need to
restart Pd makes working with a scripting language not much faster
than working with C directly. Maybe it can be done inside Lua, though,
using the dofile/loadfile functions. But I don't know Lua enough yet.

Still, attached are my first three lua externals. ;)

Ciao